Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Appropriation: Recycled Decoration and Thomas Pedrick's Incredible Meatball Recipe for an Impromptu Birthday Dinner


Tom and I spent an amazing weekend in New Rochelle, New York celebrating the wedding of my dear friend Jessica Gold to the lovely Danny Shatz. It was an amazing service, full of elegance and splendor.  I was particularly dazzled by the lovely flower combinations and was incredibly thrilled to be able to take some home with me. This was the first wedding I have ever attended, and it was quite beautiful.

Tom's birthday was on Monday, March 4th.  An official party and post will be coming up next weekend, but we wanted to do something special on the day of since Tom was awesome enough to come to a wedding with me on his real birthday weekend.  

 Since we did not have anything planned, I decided to recycle the amazing flowers that I brought with me from the wedding and incorporate candles and linens from the last dinner party we threw.  With so much color and interest in the center of the table, I wanted to break up the brightness of the large white plates.  I used a black napkin and floated a tea light in a small glass cup in the center of every plate.  This way, most of the focus remained on the centerpiece, yet the settings incorporated well through the repetition of flickering light.



Bouquets of dusty pink roses and white hydrangeas popped beautifully against the organically striped green tablecloth, almost like blooms against the green of the grass. I always feel bad for flowers that only get used once, so I wanted to share a nice way to repurpose blooms that would only have the opportunity to shine for one lovely night. This was a quick and easy setup to make an unplanned evening beautiful and unique.



Tom's dad, also Thomas Pedrick, is an amazing cook.  He attended the Culinary Institute and has a certificate in both French and Italian Cuisine.  I love visiting the Pedrick home for amazing dinners.  Monday, he prepared a beautiful and simple meal of pasta and meatballs.  Possibly the best meatballs I have had to date!

 He has agreed to share his epic recipe, so here it is:

Thomas Pedrick's Meatballs

6 pounds of a pork/veal/beef ground mix
bread crumbs:
6 slices of bread soaked in whole milk
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
2 cups grated pecorino romano cheese
1 1/2 cups parsley, chopped
1-3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
3 eggs
2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano

Preheat oven to 375. Drain the soaked bread. Mix all of the ingredients together. Form into balls and arrange on several ovensafe containers. Add about a half an inch of water to the bottom of each dish and bake for approximately 50 minutes.

Make sauce and let the meatballs cook in the sauce before serving.


Scribbles from the Somellier: Our wine for the evening was Masi Campofiorin from the Veneto region of Italy.



No comments:

Post a Comment